Vanilla Honey Ice Cream
Home-made ice-cream is easier than you think to make! Try this at home.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 3 cups thickened cream
- 1 cup full cream milk
- 1/2 cup AB's Yellow Box Honey order below
- 2 vanilla beans split lengthwise and scraped
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Heat the cream, milk, honey, vanilla beans and seeds in a heavy saucepan over medium heat until hot. DO NOT BOIL!
- Lightly whisk the egg yolks in a heatproof bowl; slowly drizzle 1 cup of the hot cream mixture into the yolks while whisking.
- Pour the yolk mixture into the saucepan of cream; heat, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens slightly and coats the back of a wooden spoon. BE CAREFUL NOT TO BOIL and curdle.
- Pour through a fine-mesh strainer to remove the vanilla beans and any bits of cooked egg
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Cover the custard with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold, about 6 hours.
Instructions for Ice Cream Maker
- Follow the directions on your ice cream maker to freeze. Once frozen, transfer to containers and allow to set in the freezer for 2 hours.
If you don't have an ice cream maker:
- Pour mixture into pre-chilled metal loaf tin for approx 6 hours or until it's almost set.
- Remove from freezer and use a metal spoon to break up the ice cream.
- Transfer to a bowl and beat for 3 minutes or until smooth. Return to the oaf pan, cover with foil & freeze for 4 hours.