Homemade Crumpets with Burnt Honey Butter
You cannot beat a homemade crumpet with sweet honey butter. These homemade crumpets require a little patience, but it will be worth it!
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 15 minutes
Resting Tme 1 hour 30 minutes
Servings 6 crumpets
- 4 egg rings
- fry pan, with heat-proof handle
- 250 ml milk
- 200 gm plain flour
- 1 tsp fast-action dried yeast
- 1 tsp gold caster sugar
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for greasing
- 5 tbsp AB's Ironbark Honey order below
- 140 gm unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Gently heat the milk in a small pan until it starts to bubble around the edges; leave it to cool until it is tepid.
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar and ½ tsp fine salt in a large bowl, and gradually mix in the cooled milk to make a smooth, loose batter. Cover and leave to rise in a warm place for 1hr-1hr 30 mins or until doubled in size and very bubbly
- Meanwhile, make the honey butter. Heat the honey in a small saucepan over a medium-high heat. Let it bubble until it turns to a deep gold; remove and cool slightly.
- Using electric beaters or a wooden spoon, beat the butter in a large bowl until fluffy and pale, add a large pinch of sea salt, then fold in the warm honey. Scrape into a serving bowl and chill.
- Heat the grill to high. Lightly grease the insides of 4 x 9cm metal cooks’ rings with oil.
- Heat a large non-stick frying pan over a low-medium heat, add 1 tbsp oil and put the rings in the pan. Spoon the batter into the rings until they are half full.
- Let the crumpets cook slowly for about 10 mins or until the mixture has set and bubbles on top have all popped. Lift the rings away carefully.
- If your pan has a heatproof handle, grill the crumpets in the pan until the tops are golden brown (around 7 - 10 mins). If not, transfer crumpets to a baking sheet and place under grill.
- Repeat with the remaining mix, then serve with the burnt honey butter.
Original recipe can be found at www.bbcgoodfood.com Download Recipe Card