HOMEMADE MAYONNAISE WITH AB'S HONEY
This easy mayonnaise recipe uses 100% Australian AB's Yellow Box Honey. It's perfect with poached chicken or on your poached eggs with spinach for breakfast.
- 200 ml sunflower or vegetable oil
- 100 ml mild olive oil
- 2 egg yolks, at room temperature
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 20 ml lemon juice (or one large squeeze to taste)
- 1 tbsp AB's Yellow Box Honey
- Pinch sea salt and pepper, to taste
- ½ tsp white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp fine chopped basil or tarragon, optional
- Combine the oils into a measuring jug.
- Put the egg yolks in a steep-sided mixing bowl with the mustard, lemon juice and a pinch of sea salt. Beat well with a hand-held electric whisk.
- Start adding the oil VERY gradually, a short dribble at a time, gently beating each addition into the yolks before adding more. Make sure the oil is incorporated into the emulsion as you go. Don't be tempted to pour it in all at once!
- After you've added about half the oil, increase speed as the mayonnaise will be more stable. If your mayonnaise splits, whisk in another egg yolk and slowly add another 150ml of oil (two-thirds sunflower and one-third mild olive oil).
- Whisk in the AB's Yellow Box Honey, taste and add vinegar or more lemon juice as required. Stir in the tarragon or basil (if using) and adjust the seasoning to taste.