This is the BEST baklava recipe EVER. It's flaky, crisp and tender and not overly sweet. A disco party for your taste buds.
- 450 grams filo pastry
- 1 1/4 cups unsalted butter
- 4 cups walnuts chopped finely
- 1 tsp ground cinnmon
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup honey AB's Macadamia is perfect!
- melted chocolate for garnish
- Thaw filo pastry to bring it to room temperature
- Trim pastry to fill baking dish. Cover with a damp towel to stop them drying out.
- Grease the base and sides of baking dish with butter.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until sugar is dissolved. In a medium saucepan, combine 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup AB's Macadamia honey, 2 Tbsp lemon juice, and 3/4 cup water.
- Reduce heat to low and boil additional 4 min without stirring. Remove from heat and let syrup cool while preparing baklava.
- Using a food processor, finely chop the walnuts.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the walnuts and cinnamon.
- Place 10 filo sheets into baking pan one at a time, brushing each sheet with butter once it's in the pan before adding the next. Keep covered with a damp towel at all times.
- Spread about 3/4 cup of nut mixture over filo
- Add 5 buttered sheets of filo, then another layer of nuts. Repeat x 4. Finish off with 10 layers of buttered filo sheets. Brush top with butter.
- Cut pastry to form diamond shapes. Bake at 165 degrees for 1 hour and 15 min or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately spoon cooled syrup evenly over the hot baklava. This will ensure that it stays crisp rather than soggy. Let baklava cool completely, uncovered and at room temperature.
- Garnish baklava with leftover walnuts and drizzle with melted chocolate.
For best results, let baklava sit 4-6 hours or overnight at room temperature for the syrup to penetrate and soften the layers. Store at room temp, covered with a tea towel for 1 to 2 weeks. Download Recipe Card