One Pan Honey Soy Chicken and Rice
This meal is so easy to make, budget-friendly, with easy to find ingredients, and bursting with flavours.Whilst we’ve recommended Brisbane Locale honey for this recipe, any of our great range of raw table honeys will taste amazing.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Total Time 50 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 6 Chicken Thighs bone in or out, with or without skin
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup AB's Brisbane Locale Honey
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp ginger minced (optional)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 brown onion diced
- 1 tsp dried thyme optional
- 1 cup rice basmati
- 2 cups chicken broth
- lemon slices
- fresh parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- For chicken:1. Season the chicken on each side with some salt and pepper.2. Heat a cast iron skillet or frying pan on high heat, once hot, add the olive oil.3. When the oil starts to slightly simmer, add the chicken, (skin side down if you are using skin on chicken thighs) and cook until browned, 4-5 minutes on each side.4. Transfer the chicken to a plate and cover well with foil.
- For sauce:1. Add the garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute, just until fragrant.2. Add the honey, water, vinegar, ginger if using and soy sauce. Cook on medium heat until the sauce reduces and thickens slightly (about 5-8 minutes). Stir occasionally.3. If you want the sauce thicker, cook on low for longer, stirring occasionally.4. Transfer sauce to a bowl. Set aside.
- For rice:1. Add butter to the pan and melt on low-medium heat.2. Add the diced onion and cook for about 1 minute, just until soft.3. Add in the uncooked rice and dried thyme, stir and cook for a minute.4. Pour in the chicken broth, stir to combine.5. Add the meat back to the pan, on top of the rice. Skin side up if using bone-in thighs.6. Cover with foil and bake for 45-50 minutes. When 5 minutes are left, uncover the pan, brush chicken with the sauce and broil for 5 minutes.7. Serve with lemon slices, fresh parsley and extra sauce on top of the chicken.
We cook this for our family with a cast iron skillet, but it you don’t have one, a high sided frying pan will work too. If you don’t have Kosher salt, sea salt flakes work well too. Download Recipe Card