It has been called the nectar of the gods and Cleopatra swore by it, so it is no surprise that integrating a little raw honey into your beauty routine is like diving into the fountain of youth. Look on the shelves of any beauty store or chemist and you will see honey found in face masks, shampoos, moisturisers, serums, lip balms, acne treatments, and more. Discover the benefits of a honey skin care routine you can do at home, and see how good honey is for your skin.
Benefits of raw honey for your skin
The good news is, you don’t have to buy heavily processed beauty products to gain the benefits of honey – simply add it to your daily or weekly regime using AB’s Honey raw unpasteurised honey from the pantry.
- naturally antibacterial
- naturally antifungal
- a natural humectant
- a natural emollient
- naturally anti-inflammatory
Easy ways to use honey for skin and beauty
For your face
- A Simple Honey Mask: spread honey over your face and let sit for up to 30 minutes (remember to avoid bees!). Rinse with warm water.
- Facial cleanser to remove makeup residue: combine honey and jojoba oil or coconut oil. Rub into your skin avoiding the eye area. Rinse with warm water.
- Bath soak: combine 1/4 cup honey with 2 cups of milk. Add to a hot bath. Sit back and relax.
For your lips
- Lip Scrub. Combine one tablespoon of honey, four teaspoons of sugar, and 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil or softened coconut oil in a small bowl. Massage the mixture into your lips and leave for 10 minutes. Gently remove with a wet face washer. Apply lip balm to moisturise.
(Tip: Try our homemade lip balm recipe here using pure Australian beeswax and Manuka Honey!)
For your hair
- Shine Boosting Hair Mask: Mix together 1/2 cup raw honey and 1/4 cup olive or coconut oil in a small bowl or jug. Apply to your hair from roots to tips. Leave for 20 minutes, then rinse. Use weekly for added shine and volume.
- Revive Dry Hair. Revive dry, lacklustre hair by thoroughly mixing 1 teaspoon of raw honey with your shampoo. Lather as usual, then rinse well to leave your strands super-soft. We absolutely love this one and it works as raw honey is a humectant, allowing it to lock in moisture!
For your body
If are feeling adventurous and looking for a chemical-free alternative to the store-bought hair removal options, try a Sugar-Honey wax. According to Leaf.tv, Sugar Honey Wax is “an ecologically friendly hair remover that can be made in your own kitchen” and won’t expose your skin to harmful petroleum-based hair-removal products or clutter up the landfill with disposable plastic razors. Try these honey beauty tips with AB’s Honey Brisbane Locale, Yellow box, or Tea Tree Honey or the fabulous Manuka Honey range.
Honey to fade your dark spots and tan lines
Researchers believe there is a direct link between using honey on the face and lightening dark spots. Because honey has exfoliant properties, using it on the face can eliminate the dead skin cells that make the skin appear dull.
Mixing tomato juice with honey can help reduce tan lines, lighten skin tone, and remove blemishes.
Honey as your budget-friendly anti-aging cream
The natural antioxidants in honey help control fine lines and wrinkles on your face. Applying honey to the face in the form of a honey mask increases the elasticity of the skin, making it appear more youthful.
Simply mix honey with milk to form a paste. Keep this paste on your face for 15 minutes and then rinse with warm water.
Honey to reduce scars
To use honey to reduce scars, mix a tablespoon of raw honey with a tablespoon of coconut or olive oil. Apply to the affected area and massage in circular motions with the fingertips for one or two minutes. Place a warm washcloth on the skin and let it cool. Repeat every day.