Acne is often the skin’s reaction to factors such as stress, poor diet and hormonal changes. According to Health Engine, it is estimated that 95-100% of 16-17-year-old boys and 83-85% of 16-17-year-old girls are affected by acne in Australia.
While there are many medical products on the market to treat acne, Manuka honey may be an effective natural remedy for teenage skin.
Along with other types of honey, people have used Manuka honey for medicinal purposes for thousands of years. So, we thought we’d give it a go!
We started using AB’s Honey Manuka Honey on a family member’s face who suffers from occasional teenage acne. She used AB’s 900 Manuka Honey daily as a cleanser as well as a spot treatment on any pimples that appeared over a period of one month as a trial.
What we saw…
- Improvements to the skin’s appearance after just one week
- Visibly reduced pimples and redness after just one week
- Skin was more moisturised and not so oily
- A happy teenager!
We all know Manuka honey has long been touted as a super-honey, and for good reason. Our family member swears she won’t use anything else!
- Manuka Honey
MANUKA HONEY MGO 900+ Direct from Australian BeekeepersFrom $69.00
How to use Manuka honey for acne
People can use 900+ Manuka honey for acne in many ways, including as previously mentioned:
As a spot treatment
Try dabbing a small amount of 900+ Manuka honey on a pimple and leaving it on to dry.
As a cleanser
Massaging a pea-sized amount of MGO 900+ Manuka honey into the skin for a minute and then rinsing it off can help cleanse the face.
As a mask
We’ve come up with a few DIY face masks to try…
DIY Manuka Honey Face Masks
1. Manuka Honey Face Mask
- Just lather your face in AB’s Honey Manuka Honey, sit back and relax for 30 minutes
- Rinse off with warm water
2. Manuka Honey & Banana Face Mask
- ½ banana
- 2 tablespoons AB’s Honey 900+ MGO Manuka Honey
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Peel the banana, put in a bowl and mash up
- Add the AB’s Honey Manuka Honey and cinnamon and then mix together
- Apply to face and leave for about 15 minutes and then wash off with warm water
3. Manuka Honey & Green Tea Face Mask
- 1 tablespoon of Matcha Green tea powder
- 2 tablespoons AB’s 900+MGO Manuka Honey
- Water – add one teaspoon to check consistency. Add if required.
- Mix together the AB’s Honey Manuka Honey and green tea. Add water if the paste is too thick.
- Leave on for 15-20 minutes and the wash off with warm water
If you decide to use Manuka honey, start with a good-quality product. AB’s real raw Manuka Honey is available in four strengths* with 900+ methylglyoxal being the highest. Available strengths are 900+ mgo, 500+mgo, 100+ mgo, and 30+mgo.
4 Strengths of Manuka Honey
Make your honey treatment a regular routine and document the improvement. You may see results like our family member in just a week. Even if it takes longer, be persistent. Your skin will thank you for it.
Discover our top quality pure Australian Manuka Honey
Available at our Online Honey Shop and direct from our premises: 1/4 Christine Place, Capalaba, QLD, open Mon-Fri (except Public Holidays) 7:30am – 2:30pm. The Simply Honey online honey store sells delicious natural raw Australian honey and honey products.
When you buy honey online at Simply Honey our 100% Australian honey will be delivered right to your door.