8-Layer Honey Cake
This honey cake is so soft and fantastic. The manuka honey baked into the cake layers pairs perfectly with the simple sour cream frosting.
Servings 6 people
Honey Cake Layers
- 4 tbsp Manuka Honey
- 3/4 cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 tbsp Unsalted butter
- 3 Large eggs room temperature, beaten with a fork
- 1 tsp Baking soda
- 3 cups All-purpose Flour
Sour Cream Frosting
- 950 mL Sour Cream
- 2 cups Icing sugar
- 1 cup All-purpose flour
To make the cake
- Add sugar, honey and unsalted butter to a medium sauce pan and melt them together over medium/low heat, whisking occasionally until sugar is melted.
- As soon as the sugar is dissolved, remove from heat and while hot, add in your beaten eggs in a slow steady stream while whisking vigorously until all of your eggs are incorporated.
- Whisk in the baking soda until no lumps remain,then fold in your 3 cups flour 1/2 cup at a time with a spatula until the dough reaches a clay consistency and doesn't stick to your hands.
- Cut the dough into 8 equal pieces and move on to the next step right away.
- On a well-floured surface, roll each piece out into a thin 9" circle. You can sprinkle the top with a little flour too to keep dough from sticking to your rolling pin. Place a 9" plate or base from a spring form mold over your rolled dough and trace around it with a pizza cutter to get a perfect circle. Keep the scraps for later.
- Transfer the dough to a large sheet of parchment paper and bake 2 at a time at 175oC for 4-5 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely before stacking. Repeat with remaining layers.
- Finally bake the scraps separated evenly on are-used sheet of parchment. Once the scraps are baked, cooled and firm, pulse them in a food processor until you have fine crumbs.
To make the frosting
- Beat heavy cream until fluffy and stiff peaks form.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together sour cream with sugar. Fold the whipped cream into the sour cream and you have your frosting. Refrigerate until ready to use.
Assembling your cake
- Spread about 1/3 cup frosting on each cake layer. Press the cake layers down gently as you go to keep the layers from having air gaps. Frost the top and sides with the remaining frosting.
- Dust the top and sides with your breadcrumbs,then cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
If you don’t have a baking sheet large enough to place the parchment paper on, just bake directly on the rack. Download Recipe Card