AB'S CARAMELISED ONION AND HONEY JAM
Caramelised onions make lifebetter. They are sweet and enrich recipes with an earthy charm. With the addition of delicious AB’s Yellow Box Honey and fresh herbs, this jam is the perfect addition tocheese platters, sandwiches, and toasties or straight from the jar! It’s alsosurprisingly great as a pizza base!
- 1 kg yellow/brown onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup AB's Yellow Box Honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh tarragon
- 1/4 cup sherry vinegar
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Heatthe butter and oil in a large pan over low heat and add the onions.
- Coverthe pan and cook slowly for 1.5 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the honey, salt, and pepper, and turn up the heat to medium.
- Mince the thyme and rosemary and stir into the pan.
- Boil the mixture, stirring regularly until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Take the onions off the heat and stir in the vinegar and minced tarragon.
- Adjustthe seasoning with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve as it is or refrigerate for up to 3 weeks.If preserving, ensure you use sterilised jars that seal well.