As we move into the silly season, with Secret Santa and Christmas parties abound, we thought we’d add to the cheers with some Trivia to share at your next gathering, team building day or family get together! So, how much do you know about honey?
Honey Bee Trivia and Honey Facts
Did you know….
- Honey bees fly up to 24 km an hour (that’s 15 miles on the old scale!)
- Worker bees are female (doesn’t seem right does it!)
- The honey bee is the only insect that produces food eaten by man (we always knew they were special)
- Cleopatra is said to have used honey as part of her beauty regime (check out our Instagram for a great honey & avocado mask).
- Honey is a natural energy boost. Why? The natural sugars in honey – fructose and glucose – are very quickly digested by the body.
- In the time of the Romans, honey was literally liquid gold as it was used instead of gold to pay taxes.
- In Celtic myths, bees possess a secret wisdom garnered from the other world. While in Australia and Africa, bees can be found as tribal totems.
- Honey bees gather nectar from over two million flowers and fly around 90,000 miles to make less than 500 gm of honey.
- Honey is a great substitute for sugar in cooking.
- It takes one ounce of honey to fuel a bee’s flight around the world. Yet, the average honey bee will only make one-twelfth of a teaspoon of honey in its lifetime (that’s a lot of work!)
- Honey has been shown to have antiseptic properties and historically was used as a dressing for wounds and a first aid treatment for burns and cuts.
We live for honey, which is why AB’s Honey only produces the finest 100% Australian, 100% raw, 100% pure honey. Whether you are looking to bolster your beauty regime, add some flavour to your sweet or savoury dishes, or enjoy honey on warm toast with butter, put AB’s Honey at the top of your shopping list this year.
AB’s HONEY OPTIONS & MORE
Check out our range of honey online in our categories above or visit us at the Farmer’s Market in Brisbane City every Wednesday morning.