AB's GINGER, LEMON AND TEA TREE HONEY CAKE
100% Australian Tea Tree Honey is one of AB’s Honey’s famous high quality natural Australian honey flavours. The combination of the flavours of ginger, lemon and honey are a sweet and spiced match made in baking heaven. This light, moist cake makes a lovely addition to your high tea table.
- 125 g butter, softened
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup milk
- Pinch bicarbonate of soda
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tbsp AB’s Tea Tree honey
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated
- lemon zest, to serve
- 15 g butter, softened
- 1½ cups icing sugar mixture, sifted
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Grease a 10cm x 21cm loaf pan and line with baking paper.
- Use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add the egg and beat to combine.
- Combine milk and bicarbonate of soda in a jug. Add to the egg mixture with the flour, ground ginger, AB’s Tea Tree honey and most of the lemon rind (keep some aside for decoration). Stir to combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth out evenly.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Set aside in the pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool down before icing.
- To make the icing, place the butter and icing sugar in a bowl. Stir in the lemon juice to make a smooth paste. Spread over the top of the cake, allowing it to drip down sides. Sprinkle the cake with lemon zest and/or lemon slices and drizzle with AB’s Tea Tree honey.