Devonshire Honey Cake
A scrumptious cake for a high tea or lunch with the family.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Cook Time 1 hour
- 20 cm spring form tin
- Pre-heat oven to 140C fan-forced, 160C conventional. Butter and line a 20cm round springform tin.
- In a medium pan, place butter pieces, Yellowbox Honey and sugar. Melt slowly over low heat
- When the mixture has combined and is liquid, increase the heat and boil for 1 minute.
- Leave to cool for 15 – 20 minutes (this is to prevent the eggs cooking when added).
- Beat the eggs into the honey mixture using a wooden spoon.
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, and pour in honey and egg mixture, beating until smooth.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour until cake is well-risen and golden brown. Cake will spring bake when pressed.
- When cooked, turn cake onto a wire rack.
- Warm 2 tbsp honey in a small pan until runny; brush over the top of the cake when warm to create glaze. Leave cake to cool.
- Keep cake wrapped in an airtight tin for up to 4 days (unless you eat it first!).
This recipe was chosen for the Queensland Beekeepers’ Association Inc (QBA) 2019 conference cooking competition. The recipe was tested and approved by one of QBA’s members. Original recipe from James Martin at www.bbcfood.co.uk.